Matt’s practice focuses on commercial and public interest litigation as well as commercial transactions. He has represented individuals, companies, and other organizations in contract, tort, financial services, malpractice, employment, utility, product liability, and other complex litigation in state and federal courts. He has also represented parties before state boards and commissions. Matt is a mediator certified by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission to conduct mediations in North Carolina’s Superior Courts. During law school, he was an intern to the North Carolina Attorney General’s Executive Staff, working on legal and policy issues concerning cyber-crime, university safety, and prisoner reentry programs.
In addition to his legal work, Matt serves as a Wake County Commissioner. Elected countywide to serve more than 1 million residents and oversee an annual budget of more than $1 billion, Matt has overseen local government operations for a wide range of public functions, including school funding, land use, public health, fiscal policy, public safety, and environmental protection. In 2016, he also led a successful effort to pass a $2.3 billion transportation referendum.
In 2015, the Triangle Business Journal named Matt one of the Triangle’s “40 Under 40.” In acknowledgment of his efforts on the Commission, in 2016, the News & Observer named Matt one of twelve up-and-coming young leaders who are “step[ping] up to lead the Triangle” and called him “perhaps [the board’s] most influential progressive voice.” Matt received WakeUp Wake County’s 2016 Leadership Award for leading a successful effort to pass a $2.3 billion transportation referendum.
Matt lives in Fuquay-Varina, NC with his wife, Molly, and their daughter, Eleanor.
- Duke University School of Law. J.D., 2009; magna cum laude; Order of the Coif (top 10% of class). Editorial Board member and published note author, Duke Law Journal. Member, Mock Trial Board.
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. B.A., 2005; summa cum laude. Student Body President (2004-2005). Study Abroad: Viennese Diplomatic Academy and Bosnia-Herzegovina. Honors: Order of the Golden Fleece, Order of the Grail-Valkyries.
Community Activities and Professional Affiliations:
- Foundation, 2016–Present.
- Member, Board of Directors, Alice Aycock Poe Center for Health Education, 2015–Present.
- Graduate, Leadership Raleigh Program, Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, 2010–2011.
- Co-Chair, Legislative Committee of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division, 2010–2011.
- Trustee, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2004–2005.
- Past Volunteer, Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Triangle.
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association – Litigation Division.
- Member, Wake County Bar Association.